Winery and Castle Salenegg are inextricably linked. Since 1968 prized wines are grown, harvested and processed naturally in one of Europe’s oldest wineries.
As early as 950 A.D., the abbot of Pfäfers Monastery laid the foundation for the present castle and vineyard. The mighty wooden wine press (Torkelbaum), which dates from the year 1656, is closely linked with the history of the von Gugelberg family of Castle Salenegg. Today the family blends tradition with modernity – as in the case of Pinot Noir, whose mashing and fermentation continues for ten days in steel tanks where the biological acid reduction takes place. Subsequently, the young wine is moved to the old traditional wooden barrels where its full character develops.